Saturday, November 10, 2018

Knife Sharpener

I bought a Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System to upgrade from the free-hand stones and diamond sharpeners I've used for years.

I had a decent crock stick sharpener that disappeared when we moved house last year and I suspect Ma dropped it off at Goodwill with a couple dozen trips worth of stuff she donated when we downsized homes.

She had bought her own sharpener for her kitchen knives, one of those pull-thru carbide "V" style that shave way too much metal off of a blade for not a great edge, to use on not that great knives in the first place, lol.

I took one of those out of the "knife" drawer to see what my first attempt with the Lansky system would do.

I have no idea what battles Ma has been fighting around the kitchen, but it sure does leave a toothy chipped blade that my test run managed to smooth out a bit. (I have sharpened her knives for her before, but they keep ending up like this, so someone's doing something like chopping frozen food or somesuch...)

I can still see a few of the chips after some work with the Lansky, so I think I need to spend more time with the coarse stone until I can no longer see the chips, then progress through the other stones.  I'll probably look through YouTube for tips as well.

As an Amazon affiliate I earn a small percentage of sales when folks go to amazon through my links and shop, and that helps pay the bills, so, 'Thanks!'.

No comments: