Thursday, November 09, 2017

socks are done for...

Well, I reckon this pair of socks is done for. I didn't even realize they had holes in 'em until I just took them off to puts some lotion on my feets, lol...

You'd think I'd feel a draft, but my diabetic peripheral neuropathy has the nerves in my feet damaged, so I only feel a constant numbness with random stinging pain 24/7, so much so that it often keeps me from sleeping.

It doesn't really matter the brand/type of socks I wear anymore since I can't really feel them when they're on, just that they fit my feet. With wearing size 13 4E shoes, I need the XL (13 - 15) size socks, usually wearing crew type. The brand in the photo is Thorlos, a preferred Made in the U.S.A. brand, that I've worn since around 1990.

Most of the socks I currently have are those cheap 'diabetic' socks. They fit, but the tops are loosely woven and always falling down, even to the point that the socks come off when I toss and turn when sleeping.

When I wear other socks and my feet/lower legs are swollen(edema), the fit is so tight that it feels like I have compression socks on, and that feels uncomfortable to me.

The swelling is often so bad that I cannot get my feet into my boots at all, and have to loosen my shoelaces from top to bottom to barely even fit my sock covered feet into the shoes at times.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes back in 1996, I was told to wear shoes all the time, except when sleeping, even around the house, because foot injuries can lead to infections, gangrene, and foot amputation for diabetics.

I've not followed that advice, and been lucky to not have serious injury to my feet/toes in that time, but as the issues with my diabetes have progressed over the years, I should be paying more attention to my feet than I do, especially with recent injuries to my knees in a fall, back problems (slipped/herniated disc) and sciatica...

No comments: