Thursday, February 21, 2013

Filework

This was my first attempt at doing filework on the back of a knife blade, a project I've been meaning to try for a long time. I used triangular and round needle files, from a set I bought at wallyworld, and the knife is just an inexpensive beater that I wouldn't worry about screwing up with any mistakes.

I first used a Sharpie marker and ruler to set out 1/8" marks along the back of the blade, where I would alternate using the triangular and round files on each side. I held the closed knife in one hand and the file in the other to do the work, but a bench vise would probably have helped.

The files did tend to want to jump around and wander as I started at each point, but the marks aren't too noticealbe, so I'm satisfied with the results as a first timer... ;)

I didn't follow any particular tutorial or pattern, but there are lots out there for those that might want to give it a try.

No comments: