Saturday, March 17, 2018

Cable Keyring Fail

While out shopping, I had a vinyl covered cable keyring failure, which led to the items on my keyring/keychain dropping to the floor and scattering about when I opened my edc tactical keychain pouch and pulled the keyring out.  The crimped end is still screwed inside the barrel.

I bought this plastic/vinyl covered twisted type steel cable keyring six or seven years ago, but had only used it in rotation with other split ring type (FreeKey) and regular keyrings, so probably got a couple of years of actual usage out of it.

Because the end pieces are crimped over the plastic instead of directly around the steel cable, I'm guessing that made it less secure than it would otherwise have been, and my pulling on it to retrieve it from the pouch put additional stress on it too.

I've not had other uncovered cable keyrings break on me before, but am now aware of the possible failure point.  They screw barrels can loosen up over time, going in and out of a pocket, but my OCD has me checking to make sure it stays tight, so that's not an issue for me, and I'll continue to use them in the future.

I was able to remove the crimped end from the barrel by unscrewing it with the small phillips end of my Stanley Pocket Screwdriver.  I tried re-crimping the end on to the cable, after trimming away the plastic on that end, but I guess I applied too much pressure because the crimped end flattened out and half of it broke away.  So, into the trash with that one, I have several others in the gadget drawer to replace it...

No comments: