Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread

Around one o'clock this morning, I decided to make some Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread, using a couple of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix boxes that had their 'best by'/expiration dates coming up in a couple of weeks.

Of course those dates aren't exact, since I know I've previously used boxes that were more than a year past the date on the box and it was fine.

I mostly followed a recipe from the Jiffy website, just changing a few things, like using regular milk instead of buttermilk, adding shredded cheddar cheese, one can of fiesta corn, and using what jalapeños that I had available, which were the hot and sweet sliced variety, and those probably only amounted to one whole jalapeño instead of the four mentioned in the recipe.  I also left out the small red pepper, but the fiesta corn had peppers in it to make up for that.

The oven time in the recipe says 25 to 30 minutes, but with the additional ingredients, I think I had to leave it in for around 40 minutes, with some heat lost out of the oven when I opened it to check the center of the cornbread with a toothpick after 30 minutes (was still wet), so just keep an eye on it so you don't burn yours.

Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
(6 - 9 Servings)
  • 2 pkgs. "JIFFY" Corn Muffin Mix
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 4 jalapeño peppers, cored and diced
  • 1 small red pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted 
  • 1 can Fiesta Corn (drained)
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 

Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9” square pan or a 10” cast iron skillet preheated in the oven.
Combine all ingredients. Blend well. Pour into pan or skillet. Bake 30 - 40 minutes.

I served mine warm with butter and clover honey.

No comments: